Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

Tag, I'm IT!


Pic from KPM Doodles

Jen over at Learning is FUN, tagged me and so...


Here Are The rules:
* Post these rules
* Answer the 10 questions that the tagger posted for you
* Create 10 questions of your own to ask the people that you're about to tag
* Tag 10 people and link them with your post (and let them know they've been tagged!)

I have to answer 10 questions that she has asked, so here it goes:

1.) What is your quick fix to homework assignments not being turned in on time?
I feel like I am always making extra copies!
We make about 3 extra copies to begin with. There are 3 teachers, so we have 9 total. That usually covers everybody and we don't have to keep running to the copier. I have my extras in a hanging pocket organizer behind my desk.

2.) How do you escape the ever-present problem of not having enough pencils sharpened?
Unfortunately, I don't. I think my 3rd graders literally EAT their pencils and pull off ALL the erasers. I've caught them cutting up erasers almost daily. For some reason, they think that I am the supplier of pencils, erasers, scissors, etc... I have been pulling tickets for pencils and erasers lately, trying to alleviate the problem.

3.) Why did you decide to enter the field of education?
I worked in retail for 22 years, and I just wasn't happy. I didn't feel that I was using all of my talents and I wanted to give something back, make a difference in this world. When I attended college, I was either going to go into business or education, so I decided to give it a try. I also had a young child; therefore, educations was more important than it had been in the past.

4.) What is the most hilarious thing that you have overheard a student say?
One of my students called another student a "urinal stick". Does anyone know what that is exactly? I don't think he did either.

5.) How do you keep your students "in line" and engaged when Spring Fever is running wild?
Well, first I try and come up with interesting and engaging lessons. Second, if all else fails, I bribe them with tickets. I have special "green" tickets that I pull near the end of the day, and they MUST be on green (no color changes) or their ticket gets torn and the next person wins. I use the raffle tickets, and have the students just put their names on the back. I also pick "regular colored" tickets for special snack, and treasure box.

6.) What does a typical lunch look like for you during the work week?
I rush into the lunch room with whatever time I have left after trying to get my students to line up quietly, and usually shove a frozen Lean Cuisine, or WWatchers meal in the microwave. On occasion, we will order Jimmy Johns or we have a pot luck. Then I rush to the potty about a minute or two before I have to pick up the kiddos.

7.) Name a hobby that you have!
I love to decorate. I love to put together sort of "themed" looks for each room. I decorated my entire house, even making most of the floral arrangements myself. I get ideas from model homes, magazines, etc... This hobby goes hand in hand with my other hobby of shopping. You have to shop in order to decorate. It's a match made in heaven!

8.) If you were to pick another career besides teaching, what would it be?
I guess I would be an interior decorator. Like I said, I just love to decorate homes. I love to shop for tile, paint, counter tops, you name it. I would love to work for a home builder and maybe decorate the model homes and help customers with picking out their colors and other items.

9.) What do you do during your summer vacation?
I go to sleep late, wake up late, read, and help with All Stars for softball. Last year my daughter's team went to Pony Nationals, so that pretty much carried us all the way to July. I think I had two weeks in August to do whatever I wanted. And this year my husband suckered me into being on the board and in charge of concessions and fund raising, so now it's year round softball. Yes, I'm a softball mom!

10.) What is a piece of advice you would offer a first-year teacher?
Get organized. It takes a lot of work to set up files, your library, etc.. the way you want it, but put in the time and do it right the first time. Papers, especially, can get out of control quickly. I have a tall file cabinet full of lessons, by subject, concept, and/ or holiday theme. I finally took the time to go through it all, but it still isn't labeled the way I want it. I spent almost one whole summer getting my classroom library set up. I like to do stuff like that when there are no kids around, and no one to bother me. I worked at my own pace, came and left as I pleased. It's great if you are able to do something like this.

This is all I have time for now. Maybe I'll come back and create 10 more questions and tag others, but for now, I guess I'm still it!

Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...