Pages

Monday, March 19, 2012

Spring Break is Over.....What a Day!


Graphic by KPM Doodles


Spring Break is officially over!

The alarm clock goes off @5:30 AM, YUCK!!! TOO EARLY... I think to myself.

Get ready, head to school, and someone's in my parking space, and of course pulls out just as I park.

Get to school, head to the copier, and there's not enough pink paper (no white paper at all)!

Get the keys to the supply room, get pink & white paper (thinking of others). Only have enough time to make 2 sets of copies (need 3), so leave a message to copy 3rd set.

Announcements are late, Talented and Gifted Students need to hurry and do their ABC Order before TAG teacher picks them up at 7:45AM.

TAG teacher comes and only one student is finished. Others soon follow except one. Didn't event realize he hadn't left until another student made a comment. TAG student wasn't even doing ABC Order, he was reading. So.... he had to do ABC Order and went to TAG almost an hour late.

The room is nice and quiet. Everyone reading, taking AR Tests, passing out mail, stapling spelling tests in planners........ until the TAG kids come back.

They quiet down after clapping to attention, then we begin reading about E. B. White, because we are going to read Charlotte's Web. We are talking about how long ago the book was written and one of my TAG kids says "What color was your hair when you were born?" I asked him what did that have to do with the book, and he said it was because I said it was written before I was born. Welcome to my world.

Tell students to do fill-in-the-blank author quiz. One student turns it in and put that White used to be an editor and a niece. "Niece?", I said. "Don't you have to be a girl to be a niece?" He just rushed through it as usual.... I go ahead and give him his grade (he doesn't deserve a higher grade for rushing), but tell the rest of the class to PROVE their answers BEFORE turning in their papers.

Kiddos go to PE... Ahhhhh.... quiet.....for 45 minutes......

Kiddos come back, we watch a video about life cycle and inherited traits. Of course the s_ _ word came up, several times (giggle, giggle, whisper, whisper....).

Line up to go to lunch twice (line up twice, not go to lunch twice) because they have forgotten how to line up quietly.

Go to lunch. Decide that it is very cloudy, but not wet yet so we can go outside. Come in early because it is beginning to drizzle.

Start warm up. Getting loud again. No one has glue sticks (as usual). Clap to quiet down. Go over word problem concerning subtraction and fractions (which we have already covered). When asked what the fraction of green markers was, one student says "3". I tell him that is NOT a fraction (of course we just went over what the definition of a fraction was).

Begin math lesson on graphing with a video...NOT. Was only able to watch about a minute and then it started "buffering". I hate when it BUFFERS!!! So, have to go to plan B, wing it!

Bell rings, some people already packed, others dilly dallying with finishing their graph questions... Hurry up and pack. Can't find the bus slip (teacher that prints it has a sub).
Find form on computer, print it, and walk kids down the hall to the bus.

Wait until all the car riders leave. AND THEN go get my testing manual and a pen, so I can be prepared for a State Testing Meeting after school. My grade level doesn't test until April, but we all have to train now because upper grades start to test next week.

Meeting finally over around 3:45PM. Go back to my room and start to get ready to leave. Have to go to the little girl's room.. darn. Go and come back. Get everything ready. Realize I need to photo copy something for tomorrow (Don't want to take the chance the copier doesn't work tomorrow AM). Then head out the door @ 5:00 PM.

Yep, Spring Break is officially over!

10 comments:

  1. My district only has a 2 day spring break...and that was long enough. My kids needed to be back in a routine. Mondays have been hectic this year and I think it's because of their unscheduled life over a weekend.

    Hope your week goes well.

    Pat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are probably right about the unscheduled life. It was just a MONDAY.....You have to just sit back and see the comical side of it LOL :) No matter, I still love teaching and LOVE my students!!!

      Delete
  2. Hi Patti! Thought I would drop by and visit your site after you were kind enough to visit mine. :) I'm your newest follower BTW!
    I am currently on Spring Break and will be returning NEXT Monday, where I will most likely experience the day you've described above! LOL

    msbsclassroomcapers.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following me. Today was better LOL:) We actually watched the video today in its entirety,with NO buffering!
      Patti:}
      A Series of 3rd Grade Events

      Delete
  3. Just found your blog because of the giveaway...great music! Looking forward to visiting your blog often!!
    Shawna
    The Picture Book Teacher's Edition

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi! Thanks for stopping by my blog!! I'm your newest follower:)

    katy
    stickersandstaples.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just come here to hang out and listen to the awesome music. :-) Newest follower...Grabbed your button! THANKS for all the goodies you have available. Michelle
    http://nomonkeybusinessmichelle.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too funny Michell! I just got your message on TpT about your giveaway and was headed to your blog!
      Patti :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...